Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program

For many years ECLC has recognised the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged tenants in the Eastern Region. In response to these issues and with funding from Consumer Affairs Victoria, ECLC provides a Tenant Advice and Advocate Program.

Services are available to tenants, rooming house and caravan park residents and retirement village residents with a rental agreement. ECLC’s Tenancy Advocate may be able to assist with:

  • Beginning and ending a lease
  • Lodging and return of the Bond
  • Transferring and making claims against the Bond
  • VCAT preparation and assistance
  • Discrimination in renting
  • Changing the lease in violent situations
  • Breaches of rental responsibilities
  • Rent increases, arrears and receipts
  • Urgent and non-urgent repairs
  • Privacy
  • Lease breaking
  • Compensation
  • Goods left behind
  • Condition Reports

The service provides free and confidential information and advice, negotiation with landlords, preparation of materials and support for tenants at VCAT. Support is provided through telephone advice, Centre-based appointments and some outreach visits.

The tenant advocate cannot assist with:

  • Public housing tenants (Department of Human Services)
  • Landlords
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Social housing tenants
  • Residents in Retirement Villages without a rental agreement

Download the Tenancy Brochure or contact ECLC for more information.

Page updated February 13, 2017
Go To Top