ECLC is thankful for the contributions of approximately 100 volunteers whose skills and expertise allow the Centre to deliver a range of services, including but not limited to:
- legal advice
- intake and administration
- casework support
- legal research and policy work
- community legal education
ECLC welcomes applications to volunteer with the Centre. Please read the following information carefully before applying.
- ECLC is fortunate to receive considerable interest in volunteering. Applications for voluntary positions will be retained on a waiting list for six months. with applicants contacted if a suitable position becomes available.
- The Centre requires a minimum commitment of six months to any volunteer position in the hope of building an ongoing and mutually beneficial relationship with all volunteers. As such, the Centre is unable to assist work experience students, short term placement volunteers or provide supervision for professional experience.
- The Centre is committed to recognising the invaluable and long-standing contribution of its volunteers, including the provision of a reference on request to eligible volunteers (see Volunteer Reference Policy)
- Generally, the Centre gives priority to volunteers who live within its catchment area. The catchment area encompasses the following local government areas:
- Yarra Ranges
How to apply
ECLC welcomes expressions of interest from lawyers wishing to volunteer. Volunteer lawyers are required to have a current practising certificate and at least two years post admission experience in legal practice.
Volunteer lawyers may contribute to ECLC in a number of positions:
- Volunteer Night Service Lawyer
- Volunteer Night Service Supervising Lawyer
- Volunteer Day Service Lawyer
- Volunteer Night Service Observing Lawyer
- Policy and Law Reform Volunteer
Volunteer lawyers generally provide legal advice on an appointment only basis and in areas of law they feel competent in and that adhere to ECLC’s Advice and Casework Guidelines.
To express interest in a voluntary position, contact the Box Hill office on 9285 4822 or send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paralegals, Students and Community Volunteers
Students and community members may contribute to ECLC in a number of positions:
- Volunteer Intake and Administration Worker
- Volunteer Night Service Paralegal
- Volunteer Paralegal – Intervention Order Support Service
- Volunteer Night Service Co-ordinator
- Volunteer Worker – Deakin Legal Service
- Casework Volunteer – Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program
- Project Volunteers
To express interest in a voluntary position, forward a cover letter outlining your skills and experience, and a current CV to email@example.com, attention to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Your application should also note:
- Preferred location (Box Hill / Boronia / Healesville)
Position/s of interest
Generally, eligibility for the Intervention Order Support Service at Ringwood Magistrates’ Court and Casework Volunteer – Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program requires previous experience gained through other volunteer programs at ECLC.