Tenancy Advice and Advocacy

ECLC recognises the needs of vulnerable and disadvantaged tenants in the Eastern Region. In response to these issues and with funding from Consumer Affairs Victoria, ECLC provides a Tenant Advice and Advocacy Program (TAAP).

TAAP services are available to tenants, rooming house, caravan park residents and retirement village residents with a rental agreement. A tenant advocate may be able to assist with:

  • Beginning and ending a lease
  • Lodging and return of the Bond
  • Transferring and making claims against the Bond
  • VCAT preparation and assistance
  • Discrimination in renting
  • Changing the lease in violent situations
  • Breaches of rental responsibilities
  • Rent increases, arrears and receipts
  • Urgent and non-urgent repairs
  • Privacy
  • Lease breaking
  • Compensation
  • Goods left behind
  • Condition Reports

The service provides free and confidential information and advice, negotiation with landlords, preparation of materials and support for tenants at VCAT.

Support is provided through telephone advice, Centre-based appointments and some outreach visits.

The tenant advocate cannot assist with:

  • Public housing tenants (Department of Human Services)
  • Landlords
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Social housing tenants
  • Residents in Retirement Villages without a rental agreement

Download the Tenancy Brochure or contact ECLC for more information.

REPORT: Rental Stress in the East

Rental Stress in the East documents the work of ECLC’s Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program from 2012-15. The report uncovers extensive rental stress in the East and calls for further investment from the State Government to expand the program to meet increasing client demand.

Read the full report. 

Law reform & policy

ECLC’s TAAP provided the following submissions to the review of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA):

  1. Consultation Paper – Laying the Groundwork (.PDF)
  2. Issues Paper – Security of Tenure (.PDF)
  3. Issues Paper – Rights and Responsibilities of Landlords and Tenants (.PDF)
  4. Issues Paper – Dispute Resolution (.PDF)


For more information, visit the Fairer Safer Housing website.

Page updated February 13, 2017
Go To Top