Yarra Valley changing respectful relationships story
Community members and services across the Yarra Valley are invited on Thursday 6 December 2018 to have supper with the valley’s community leaders who will share stories of how they have been promoting respectful relationships in the community as part of 16 days of activism against gender-based violence.
Organised by Healesville Change the Story partnership, the Community in Action supper is expected to have some lively panel discussions and is most importantly one of celebration.
Marimba Wilkie, Co-facilitator of Women’s Empowerment Work and guest speaker said, “It’s a challenge hearing about violence in the community and the experiences of women across the nation. This event is an opportunity for the community to come together to focus on men and women working together, how this looks and how healthy, respectful relationships can be a strong feature of all our lives”.
Eastern Community Legal Centre (ECLC) is involved with this event through the Healesville Women 4 Women project which seeks to improve access, connection and empowerment for women in Healesville.
“We are keen to showcase the amazing work that has been happening in the valley over the past year and particularly the people behind it. As many people would know, it takes courage and initiative to inspire change in our communities to normalise respectful relationships,” Anita Koochew, ECLC’s Community Development Coordinator said.
Guest speakers include:
- Greg Hay, President of the Healesville Football and Netball Club
- Marimba Wilkie – Co-facilitator of Women’s Empowerment Work supported by Rotary
- Alan Honeycombe – Counsellor with Healesville Hospital & Yarra Valley Health
- Graeme Mawson – Local parent and facilitator of the Dad’s Group Healesville
- Anita Koochew – Yarra Ranges Co-ordinator, Eastern Community Legal Centre and facilitator of the Healesville Women 4 Women network
- Jan Alexander – Co-facilitator of Women’s Empowerment Work and psychotherapist who will be speaking on men and the release of defendedness
- Scott Crawford – Promoting and delivering respectful relationships in school communities.
The Community in Action supper will be held on Thursday 6 December 2018 at:
Darron Honey Centre
Maroondah Highway Healesville
6.45 pm – 8.30 pm
Free event with light supper
RSVP and book your free ticket by Sunday 2 December 2018 at: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/community-in-action-change-the-story-for-respectful-relationships-in-the-yarra-valley-tickets-52038821516
Healesville Rotary, the Healesville Uniting Church and Health Promotion at Healesville Hospital and Yarra Valley Health are generously supporting the evening.