Deakin Student Legal Service
Deakin Student Legal Service (DSLS) provides free and confidential legal advice, information, referral and education to students enrolled at Deakin University.
Legal advice is provided by qualified lawyers onsite at the Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) offices at the Burwood, Waterfront and Waurn Ponds campuses.
- Request an appointment for free legal advice
- Legal matters we can help with
- Location and Getting There
- Resources for Students
- Updates & Events
- Give us your feedback
Legal matters we can help with
DSLS can advise on legal matters such as:
- Fines / Infringements
- Motor Vehicle accidents (not TAC)
- Debt / Bills / Consumer problems including Scams
- Tenancy / Housing
- Employment Law including Sexual Harassment and Bullying
- Stalking & Family Violence
- Family Law
- Reporting Sexual Assault
- Minor Criminal Matters
- Victims of Crime Assistance
- Student Visas / Migration Law*
* All migration advice is provided by registered Migration Agent Shasheema Ruwanpathirana (MARN 1574896). To access a copy of The Migration Agents Code of Conduct, please click here.
If you are unsure whether your problem is a legal one, please submit a legal query using the online form. If DSLS cannot assist you, the staff will refer you to someone who can.
Deakin Student Legal Service is provided by DUSA in partnership with Eastern Community Legal Centre (ECLC) and Barwon Community Legal Service.
Location and Getting There
Please click here for information on getting to DSLS at the Burwood Campus.
Resources for Students
Updates & Events
- 25 July 2019: (event) Post Study Options for international students
- 31 July 2019: (event) Become job ready
- 8 August 2019: (event) Student Visas for international students
If you are a law student interested in volunteering with the Deakin Student Legal Service, please see ECLC info on Volunteers.
Give us your feedback
Student feedback is valuable for helping DSLS to deliver legal services that meet student needs.
We invite you to give us feedback.
Request an Appointment
If you are a student enrolled at Deakin University and you’d like some free legal help, then please complete the form below to request an appointment.