ECLC is thankful for the contributions of approximately 100 volunteers whose skills and expertise allow the Centre to deliver a range of services, including but not limited to:
- legal advice
- intake and administration
- casework support
- legal research and policy work
- community legal education
ECLC welcomes applications to volunteer with the Centre. Please read the following information carefully before applying.
- ECLC is fortunate to receive considerable interest in volunteering. Applications for voluntary positions will be retained on a waiting list for six months. Applicants will be contacted if a suitable position becomes available.
- ECLC requires a minimum commitment of six months to any volunteer position in the hope of building an ongoing and mutually beneficial relationship with all volunteers. As such, ECLC is unable to assist work experience students, short-term placement volunteers or provide supervision for professional experience.
- ECLC is committed to recognising the invaluable and long-standing contribution of its volunteers. We provide a reference on request to eligible volunteers (see Volunteer Reference Policy)
- Generally, ECLC prioritises volunteers who live within our catchment area. The catchment area encompasses the following local government areas:
- Yarra Ranges
How to apply
ECLC welcomes expressions of interest from lawyers seeking to volunteer. Volunteer lawyers require a current practising certificate and at least two years post-admission experience in legal practice.
Volunteer lawyers may contribute to ECLC in a number of positions:
- Volunteer Night Service Lawyer
- Volunteer Night Service Supervising Lawyer
- Volunteer Day Service Lawyer
- Volunteer Night Service Observing Lawyer
- Policy and Law Reform Volunteer
Volunteer lawyers generally provide legal advice by appointment only and in areas of law they feel competent in and that adhere to ECLC’s Advice and Casework Guidelines.
To express interest in a voluntary position, contact the Centre on 1300 32 53 00 or send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paralegals, Students and Community Volunteers
Students and community members may contribute to ECLC in a number of positions:
- Reception Volunteer
- Volunteer Night Service Paralegal
- Volunteer Paralegal – Intervention Order Support Service
- Volunteer Night Service Co-ordinator
- Volunteer Worker – Deakin Legal Service
- Project Volunteers
To express interest in a voluntary position, forward a cover letter outlining your skills and experience, and a current CV to email@example.com, attention to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Your application should also note:
- Preferred location (Box Hill / Boronia / Healesville)
- Position/s of interest
- Current availability
Generally, eligibility for the Intervention Order Support Service at Ringwood Magistrates’ Court requires previous experience in other volunteer programs at ECLC.
ECLC Volunteers are expected to comply with the ECLC Code of Conduct.