Behind the Curtain: GPs responding to Elder Abuse
ECLC’s Behind the Curtain video raises awareness of elder abuse among GPs in the Eastern Metropolitan Region and provides medical professionals and their patients with information and links to support services.
ECLC launched Behind the Curtain in 2015. The video is funded by Melbourne East GP Network.
Further information for GPs:
- Search “elder abuse” on the Health.Vic website to locate a range of resources for health professionals produced by the Victorian Government.
- See Chapter 10 of the RACGP White Book which provides information about identifying and responding to elder abuse, as well as information on who is best to contact once suspicion of abuse is confirmed.
- Visit the comprehensive Elder Abuse section of HealthPathways Melbourne, using your allocated log-in and password details. If you don’t have login details, email email@example.com to obtain them.
- Seniors On Line provides written information, including help sheets and a safety plan for older Victorians.
- Patients experiencing elder abuse can be directly referred to Seniors Rights Victoria, a free government funded service which provides a helpline and web-based information as well as legal advocacy and advice.
- Patients and/or their friends and family seeking advice and referral can contact ECLC’s Elder Abuse Prevention Co-ordinator directly.